As we leave Pesach and welcome spring, most of us are feeling the weight of 11 holiday and Shabbos meals in 8 days. It's a lot of food and a lot of sitting. And it comes on the heels of winter which is spent primarily indoors with far less physical activity than in warmer months.
As Pesach comes to teach us, this time of year is one of renewal and a time to hone our middos as we head toward Har Sinai. But we can't do that effectively when we feel heavy and lethargic and physically out of whack. Fortunately, our bodies are like a river. They have the ability to right themselves if we stop dumping unwanted substances into them! That means giving our systems a chance to rest from the work of identifying, digesting, and eliminating too much of the wrong foods.
To help jump start the healing process, a simple juice cleanse can give your system the rest it needs while keeping you hydrated and nourished. You don't need to buy anything fancy for this. Just a trip to the grocery store's produce aisle is fine. This fast is just a general outline and presumes that you are otherwise healthy. Two to three days is enough for most people to feel lighter and refreshed. Keep in mind if you would like to work out (and we hope you do!), that your workouts shouldn't be pushing to your max while you are fasting as your protein intake will be low.
My favorite source for juices and blends is Blender Girl. Here is the link for her 3 day juice fast for Spring:
Here is a basic summary of what I do:
- Juice or blend any combination of veggies, using fruits sparingly as a light sweetener
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Feel free to add fresh lemon, mint, cucumber, strawberries, etc. to your water to give it a fresh flavor.
- Herbal tea is ok. Skip coffee and other caffeinated beverages as well as alcohol.
- Organic vegetable broth such as Imagine or Trader Joe's can supplement fresh juices/blends. Or make your own! :)
- If you feel you need to add something of greater substance, you can add a couple tablespoons of natural nut butter or an avocado to your daily blends.
A juice cleanse isn't a diet or a punishment for what you ate! It's a reset! Just as Pesach is the beginning of the omer and working towards spiritual greatness, your body should be part of that cheshbon as the house for your beautiful soul!